7.4.08

WORK AND PLAY



I've had a lot of work in my life lately. Not very much time to play. And I've felt distinctly out of step, out of sync with the world. "Balance," my dad would always say, "balance is the key!" Work is necessary. It makes fun more fun. But sometimes, I think Andy Warhol is right - work is fun. Supposedly, Andy would work all day and all night on his artwork (amphetamines help). Andy said in The Philosophy of Andy Warhol - "I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of "work," because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do." I love reading Andy's book, maybe even more than I like looking at his paintings.

Andy continues his thoughts on work - "Unless you have a job where you have to do what somebody else tells you to do, then the only "person" qualified to be your boss would be a computer that was programmed especially for you, that would take into consideration all of your finances, prejudices, quirks, idea potential, temper tantrums, talents, personality conflicts, growth rate desired, amount and nature of competition, what you'll eat for breakfast on the day you have to fulfill a contract, who you're jealous of, etc. A lot of people could help me with parts and segments of the business, but only a computer would be totally useful to me.

If I had a good computer I could catch up with my thoughts over the weekend if I ever got behind myself. A computer would be a very qualified boss."

Andy published his book in 1975. Who knew that he would predict the internet, blogs, forums, social networking sites, and email? Andy was a smart guy. He made good art and introduced a lot of new ideas. Maybe because he worked so hard. Read more about Andy here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the picture...a little play always does the body good...